There are significant expenses associated with studying abroad. But, organising your funds in advance will assist in managing and lowering your costs! For overseas students, scholarship have consistently been the most effective means of cost-cutting. The average cost of attending school in the UK is $22,200.
The good news is that the UK has the most programmes, chances, and scholarships that can lower your costs. In the UK, there are more than 160 higher education institutions, and if you take the right procedures, you might be able to study there while paying next to nothing to live there. We’ve put up a list of the best 5 UK scholarships and how to apply for them to make it simple for you.
Different Scholarships in the UK,
There are three categories of scholarships offered in the UK:
- Institution-based financial aid
- Government-sponsored scholarship
- scholarships offered by universities
In the UK, scholarships are given out based on need, talent, and merit. You must demonstrate a history of consistently earning high grades in order to be considered for merit-based scholarships.
However keep in mind to list your extracurriculars and projects in your profile as well. You can apply for talent-based scholarships in the UK if you have extraordinary talent in a particular profession and want to study that topic.
To support your application, you might include a portfolio of your accomplishments. You can apply for need-based scholarships if you want to study in the UK but are unable to pay for it. For eligibility purposes, financial documentation could be required.
The Top 5 Scholarships for Indian Students in the UK
- British Chevening Scholarships for Students from India and Other Countries
One of the most prestigious scholarships available to international students in the UK is the British Chevening Scholarship. Chevening seeks applicants with a sense of purpose and a desire to make the world a better place.
Selected students who are awarded a Chevening Scholarship have a variety of advantages, including full funding of their education, travel, and living expenses, access to unique networking opportunities, and the chance to receive the highest-quality education possible in the UK.
The following requirements must be met by applicants to this UK scholarship programme.
- You must have at least two years of job experience and a bachelor’s degree.
- A minimum of three courses must be applied for, and you must have an offer from at least one of them.
- You must have an outstanding academic record.
- Felix Scholarships are available in the UK.
In order to give worthy students from underdeveloped countries the chance to pursue postgraduate studies in the UK, the Felix Scholarships offer scholarships at three universities: the University of Oxford, the University of Reading, and the School of Oriental and African Studies (SOAS).
Based on both need and merit, the fellowship fully funds the studies of Indian students in the UK. 428 students have benefited from Felix scholarships, which were initially awarded at a rate of six per year beginning in 1991 and have now increased to twenty per year.
The following requirements must be met by students in order to qualify for this scholarship:
- You must be younger than 30.
- You must hold a first-class bachelor’s degree from an accredited university.
- You must apply to any accredited institution for a full-time postgraduate course.
- You must provide evidence of your financial necessity.
- Commonwealth Fellowship and Scholarship Program
Scholarships provided by the UK Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office are completely financed by the Commonwealth Scholarship and Fellowship Plan. This scholarship offers monthly stipends in addition to paying your tuition and flights.
More than 30,000 students have benefited from the UK’s 1959 establishment of the Commonwealth Scholarship and Fellowship Plan. 800 students are given the opportunity to study and travel in the UK each year. Prime ministers, Nobel laureates, and other notable figures have all received Commonwealth scholarships in the past.
These are a few of the Commonwealth Scholarship and Fellowship Plan’s requirements.
- You must provide documentation of your financial necessity.
- You must have an outstanding academic record.
- In Delhi, you must appear for an interview if you are selected.
- Dr. Manmohan Singh Scholarships in the UK
This scholarship programme was established by St. John’s College, University of Cambridge, in memory of Dr. Manmohan Singh, alumnus of the university. It is one of the most well-known meritorious scholarships in the UK for Indian students.
The major goal is to provide financial aid for academically gifted students who want to pursue doctoral degrees in the economics, social sciences, or technology. This scholarship is entirely funded in the UK and includes airfare, tuition, a UK visa, as well as monthly stipends to cover any additional costs you may have.
- If you meet the requirements listed below, you may be eligible for this scholarship program.
- You must hold a postgraduate degree from one of the Indian institutions with which you are affiliated.
- You must be a citizen of India and be younger than 35.
- English should be your first language.
- You must exhibit the abilities, traits, and leadership vision of a leader.
- Scholarships in the UK: University of Oxford Rhodes Scholarships
One of the first scholarships for Indian students to study in the UK is the Rhodes Scholarship. You must exhibit academic brilliance, talent in extracurricular activities, empathy, and excellent moral character in order to be eligible for this scholarship. The scholarship offers a settling-in payment, a monthly salary of £1,442.50 or £17,310 annually, full tuition reimbursement, and foreign flight coverage.
Compared to some of the other well-liked overseas educational destinations, the UK often provides education at a cheaper average cost. Furthermore, one-year master’s programmes are offered; these programmes can be quite affordable.
25 postgraduate scholarships in a variety of topics are offered by UK universities for the academic year 2023–2024 to students from India. Each scholarship is worth a minimum of £10,000, which is equal to the cost of a one-year postgraduate programme in tutoring.